Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Day 52: Way Back Wednesday


It’s Way Back Wednesday again, kind of. I’m going back but not way back. I want to go back to Saturday when I had shown you guys a drawing I was working involving 3 barrels. Last night’s post got me thinking about my personal design process and how I keep drawing off my skill sets (no pun intended). I am an AutoCAD technician by trade and I have spent the last 10 years learning the ins and outs of that program. So when it comes to drawing anything, my natural tendency is to go straight to the AutoCAD program. This recent T-shirt venture of mine is no exception. In fact everything you have seen so far (hand drawings excluded) has been done entirely in AutoCAD.

Now back to the barrels. As I mentioned last night, sometimes I have a hard time getting my perspectives just right in my drawings, and I don’t have the patience to do over and over again. I have come accustomed to using the 3D capabilities in AutoCAD to help me solve this problem. The 3 barrels are a great example of that. I drew one barrel as a 3D object and copied it 2 times to create 3. The process took me less than an hour. I then positioned them together and was able to rotate my view of the barrels until I found just the right angel. I then converted the objects to 2D line work and shazzaam. I had the desired drawing I was looking for. The following video gives a great example of how I was able to “rotate” the barrels to get that angle.


1 comment: